Monday 13 December 2010

Child of the 80s: We Heart Amiga

Those of us born in the 80s started turning 30 this year. Take a moment to reflect on that.

For many, this means more than two decades of entertainment at the helm of various gaming systems – from the time we were old enough to hold joysticks, use control pads, or mash keys. Until now, where we are sometimes sober enough to hold joysticks, use control pads, or mash keys.

Each console or gaming system owned over those years had its own - often significant - impact on us, so it's time to take a fond look back at a few of them.

Rather than analysing each system with the wisdom of age, we thought it might be more fun to think about how we felt about each system at the time and channel our younger selves in the form of a letter. A little silly? Definitely. But we're sure you can all relate.

So. First stop. The Amiga 500.




Hello Amiga,

Can I just tell you something? Can I just say one thing, Amiga? You are cool. You are the coolest. You are better than Ninja Turtles.


I never know what to play first. I know you stole most of your games from other systems, but I don't even care. Zool? Llamatron? Lemmings? Stunt Car Racer? Robocod? They sit here in a brightly coloured stack – all copies, all good.

The kids at school don't understand. Too many are still at war with wooden guns. Too many would rather kick a ball. I looked up a good word for that, Amiga: futile. I would rather be home with you and the smell of burnt dust. I would rather be home with Double Dragon.

I like the way your disks rumble and groan as you read them. I like your silly robot voice. I hate that some of the disks don't work. Dogs of War won't load. Neither will North and South. I love that Monopoly has taken its rightful place propping up the low end of the couch.

Dad wants to play Kick Off; you will help me humiliate him on your bright green pitch, Amiga. I love that I never have to play Subbuteo again.



You make homework meaningless and even television has lost its edge. My friends are jealous that I am an FA-18 pilot. My dreams are jealous that in waking time I am a spacebound Llama.
Amiga, you rule.
From Sam, age 10.


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment